Is it a dessert… or is it a drink!? Whatever it is it’s hot pink and that means I’m IN! We’ve got a recipe for neon Italian cream sodas today and guess what! That neon color? It’s all natural!!!! Wowza.
- For the neon pink simple syrup:
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ of a (3.5oz) pack of frozen pitaya (aka pink dragon fruit, found ours at Whole Foods!)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the Italian cream sodas (one serving):
- 1 cup berry flavored sparkling water (that does NOT contain citric acid)
- 3 tablespoons pink dragon fruit simple syrup
- 1 tablespoon half & half
- whipped cream (for garnish)
- maraschino cherries (for garnish)
- Start by making the neon pink simple syrup. Bring equal parts water and sugar to a boil, then reduce heat to low and stir in ½ a pack of frozen pitaya.* Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved, the pitaya has melted, and the syrup has thickened slightly.
- After ten minutes, remove from the heat and stir in vanilla extract. Then, strain the pitaya seeds out through a fine mesh sieve. Transfer the neon pink simple syrup into a heatproof container and refrigerate until cold.
- When you’re ready to serve the sodas, fill a glass with 1 cup of berry sparkling water. Stir in the simple syrup and drizzle in a tablespoon of half & half.
- Garnish the Neon Italian Cream Sodas with whipped cream and a cherry!
Ever had an Italian cream soda? Better late than never!!!