This post was created in partnership with Universal Entertainment.
You know I love a movie night, but how about an impromptu “I just feel like having my gal pals over” movie night!? I love those, too. It’s the perfect excuse to grab some stellar snacks and hit the couch to basically talk your way through your fave movies or is that just my friends and I that do that!?
And since I’m not subtle about my love for all things acapella, the latest movie on my list is Pitch Perfect 3. Aca-WHAT!? It’s out on Blu-Ray and DVD, featuring new musical performances, gag reel and extended scenes not seen in theaters. We’re celebrating with a pink puppy chow recipe, printable chocolate bar wrappers and a few quick ideas to pull together a gal pals movie night in under an hour!
1. Give it a Fun Name: I’ve said it before, I’ll say it again. I love a theme. Even if you’re just watching a movie on your couch, it’s so fun to go the movie night a theme-y name. Makes it all the more exciting! Some suggestions for a Pitch Perfect 3 viewing: “Pitches Night In!” or “Aca-Watch Party!”
2. Pick a Color Scheme: No matter how simple you’re keeping the party, a color scheme makes it even simpler. It gives you a base on which to choose everything. I just chose mine based on the movie cover!! Easy, peasy!
3. Whip Up a Quick, Themed Snack: Call it Puppy Chow or one of the other 45 names it has, but you know you know it. And you know you love it. So we made a PINK version! It’s a great, unexpected alternative or tradition to the typical popcorn avenue and it comes together So easily. Here’s our recipe!
Pink Puppy Chow
- 9 cups Chex cereal
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons bright pink powdered food coloring
- Place cereal into a large bowl.
- In a medium microwave save bowl, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter. Heat in the microwave at 30 second intervals and stir till melted and smooth. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal and toss till all of the cereal is completely coated in the mixture.
- Place into a large paper or plastic bag or a large container with a lid.
- Combine the powdered sugar and the powdered food coloring. Add the powdered sugar on top of the cereal mixture, close bag or place lid on container and shake well till the cereal mixture is well coated in the powdered sugar.
- Transfer mixture to a baking sheet and let cool completely.
4. Make it Personal: When it comes to snacks, sometimes sharing isn’t caring. Divide up your snack into individual portions and pair it with a (pretty) drink. I used these cute take-out containers, but an even quicker grocery store way to do this is a lunch bag, top rolled down, with each gal’s name written on it in stickers!
5. Quick “Late Night Snack” Favor: Ahhh, the power of re-wrapping a chocolate bar. Oh, sorry, a ch-ACA-late bar. Get it!? 😉 I put together these wrappers inspired by my fave Pitch Perfect quotes and you can print them right here. You know those gals are gonna get hungry on their drives home, so send ’em home with some chocolate!
Photos by Jeff Mindell
Ever thrown a themed movie night!? No time like the present!!! I also highly recommend watching Pitch Perfect 3 with subtitles ON so you can have a full blown karaoke session. Just saying.
This post was created in partnership with Universal Entertainment. All content and opinions are that of my own! Thank you for supporting the sponsors that keep the Studio DIY party going! Read more about my editorial policies here.