RAINBOW UNICORN TIE DYE S’MORES, EVERYONE! Who. Is. Excited? *THIS GIRL!* I wish you all could have been in the studio while we were shooting these. Poor Jeff, surrounded by three girls squealing over how fun, colorful and AMAZING these are. We knew we had to go big or go home for the upcoming National S’mores Day (August 10th!) so we went big. And we went home. And now, we shall all vow to eat more colorful s’mores. Here’s how…
3 packages unflavored gelatin (1/4 ounce packets)
1 1/4 cup water, divided
2 cups sugar
1 cup corn syrup
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Gel food coloring (electric pink, electric blue, electric purple, turquoise green, yellow)
1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, place the powdered unflavored gelatin with 3/4 cup cold water. Let sit.
2. In a small sized pot, combine the sugar, corn syrup and remaining 1/2 cup of water. Heat over medium and bring to a boil. Once boiling, raise heat to high and cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees.
3. Using a fine mesh sieve, completely cover the bottom of an 8-inch square baking pan with a solid layer of powdered sugar. Have five bowls and five spoons ready before whipping the marshmallow.
4. Turn stand mixer to low and carefully pour the hot sugar mixture into the gelatin. Turn the speed up to high and whip for 5 to 7 minutes. Add vanilla and mix till combined. (If making plain white marshmallows, continue to whip for a total of 15 minutes. In order to make and swirl the different colors, you need the marshmallow mixture to be a little softer, so only whip for 5 to 7 minutes.)
5. Once you have whipped the mixture, quickly divide the marshmallow into the 5 bowls and color each one with the different gel food colorings. Work quickly as the mixture will set fast.
6. You are going to pour the marshmallow into the pan in 2 layers. For the first layer, in a clockwise direction, place half of the purple in one corner, then half of the pink next to it, followed by half of the yellow, half of the green and ending with half of the blue which should also connect back to the purple.
7. Using a stick of any kind (a chopstick works perfectly!), begin to swirl the colors into each other, careful not to completely mix the colors together. This is the fun part! Every batch will be different.
8. Repeat the process on top of your first layer but start the purple in a different spot than before. This just helps to ensure that every marshmallow will have a little bit of every color. Gently swirl the colors only in the new top layer.
9. With the fine mesh sieve, cover generously with powdered sugar and flatten the surface with your hands. Let sit uncovered overnight to set.
10. Run a knife along the edges. Remove the marshmallows from the pan and cut into squares.
Photos by Jeff Mindell | Recipe by Theresa Rountree | Creative Direction + Styling by Kelly Mindell
In case you’re wondering, the marshmallows taste a lot like Peeps! Sugary, colorful marshmallow goodness.
To learn how to make bright natural food dyes, click here! And for more sweets + treats, click here.
psst… We just wrapped a REALLY fun (and also colorful!) project with Natasha of Violet Tinder and she did her own take on colorful s’mores!! I just had to share them so we could all have one big technicolor marshmallow PAR-TAY!
These are amazing! I want to make them asap. Do you think you could use your natural dye options in these?
These are absolutely amazing! I love the vibrant colors.
OMG!!!! GENIUS GENIUS!!
Lyndsay // Coco Cake Land says
The colours are mind bonkers-ly amazing!!!! Teddy would freak out over these… I love them, Kelly! (Imagine busting these out at the campground? Outer space next level s’mores) … Xo
Your math is off for the water measurement. 3/4 cup plus 1/2 cup = 1 1/4 cup.
Oops! Thanks so much for catching that, just updated!
Rachel | The Crafted Life says
If I could leave emojis in the comment section, I’d leave about 1000 heart eyes for this! Ahhh-mazing!
Aimee @twiggstudios says
Wow this looks amazing
Three Cheers + Co. says
These are AWESOME!
These turned out SO fun!!
hahah these are so rad~
Ashley | Sugar & Cloth says
THE BOMB DOT COM!
Elba Valverde says
These are amazing! and so colorful
What an amazing idea! Making these for my daughters Neon/Glow Sweet 16!! Thank you!
Does it have to be gel food coloring – or will regular affect the results? So excited to try making these tonight!
You can use regular food coloring, though the colors might not be quite as vibrant!
Cady | Wild Heart of Life says
OMG the marshmallow swirl picture makes happy neurons fire on overdrive in this brain. I want to try this in ombré colors!
They look.. electric. I bet they taste good, it’s gel food coloring, but let’s admit their look is odd.
If I purchase the 6 color set from amazon does it consist of all of the colors or do I need to purchase the turquoise green separate? These look amazing!! Want to be sure I get all of the right colors!!!
We used a turquoise color (this one!) but I imagine you could create a similar color with the blue + green in the set!
These look amazing! I wouldn’t even want to eat them because they look so cool.
Ken Shenkman says
I love these! I have been experimenting with different flavors and colors of marshmallows for bit and never dreamed of tie-dye!. Looks great, can’t wait to try them.
Angeline P says
Girl these look FANTASTIC! I can’t wait to try these out with my kiddos!
Love a great and delicious chemistry project. My husband and I made these tonight. It was a blast, and we both agreed that the taste is better than any store bought marshmallow. Thanks for sharing!
N. Choi says
For a vegan version, do you think agar or konjac would work best? I can’t decide which. I’m betting pectin would not work at all though…?
Unfortunately we haven’t tried this recipe with any vegan options so I can’t speak to whether it would work or not, I’m sorry! I imagine if you look up any recipe for vegan marshmallows you could use that as your base.
must say a nice art work. these color foods made me hungry
240 degrees? Are we talking celsius or fahrenheit?
How have I just found out about the phenomena now?! Definitely trying unicorn s’mores this summer!! They look amazing!
Very impressive.. I will try this.
Alexandru Guzi says
Are so beautiful that I can eat them 😀 Great idea !
These are very useful tips. I’m taking notes on this in case I’ll be needing this in the future. We all want a stress free moving and avoid any problem in the way.
Alison Hunter says
So fun and easy to make!! This is a must for everyone.
Alison Hunter says
So so fun and easy to make. Taste super yummy, too. This is a must for everyone!!!
Thanks for your great information.I appreciate your effort and keep posting.
How long do these keep? I plan on making these mallows as gifts for the holidays, storing them in small mason jars. Thanks for any info!
These are so cool! Can these marshmallows be toasted (browned) like normal marshmallows?
Really awesome post and thanks for sharing this information.
PAM Company says
Packers and Movers Kr Puram delivers all your stuff and belongings in time and also in a very neat manner. Rates, Security, and Time are the 3 essential things that you don’t have to worry about with them.
People can explore all new things at Disney World Star Wars and this is a good place to spend time with family friends.Star war also provides a package like 5 nights at Disney World War and 6days park hopper and complimentary resort transportation.
Hercules’ job of traveling at the pace of the Core i7 processor is the strongest best tech blogs and websites. And while duty does not lack perks as one might ever request in all the free gadgets, it also implies being ahead of the curve consistently, not only by determining patterns but sometimes also setting them.
The Cannabidiol says
Today, we will have a discussion on the subject of, is it legit to use CBD Products or not?
CBD has been a late campaign in the media.
As well, you may have even deliberated it to be an integrated promoter to your daybreak coffee or post practice smoothie.
CBD tablets are used to ease any pain.
However, still, the query is CBD Products are officially authorized?
Is CBD legitimate?
CBD is swiftly practical in a variety of bits of the US; anyway, its precise lawful status is in growth.
Every individual of the 50 states has rules supporting CBD with varying scales of the obstacle.
Remembering that the administration truly considers CBD in a relative class as Maryjane, it does not repeatedly endorse it. In 2015 December, the FDA buoyant trustworthy necessities to authorize researchers to lead CBD basics.
Sooner or later, a lot of people get CBD Products online with no a scientific cannabis license.
The organization’s state on CBD is perplexing as well as relies central upon whether CBD begins from marijuana or hemp.
CBD’s authenticity is dependent upon the administration to make the hemp crop officially permitted, which would, in each with both feet on the ground sense, make CBD not easy to forbid.
Watch Series is one of the most popular web platforms, and many hit TV shows are offered free online, which is just like a TV shows library. Not just the popular TV series, but also several classic TV shows can be found on the Watch Series. While Watchseries TV is a site for streaming so mature TV series, it needs advertising to keep its operation.
Very Nice… i really like your Post…
Chess Coach Online 1-1 lessons | Experienced Chess Instructor | Learn How to Play Chess. Learn Key Chess Strategies & Techniques. Learn incredible openings. Master your strategy. Let an Experienced Instructor Help You Improve Your Chess Skills. Call us now: +971 509253167 and Visit Today:- https://www.chessclass24x7.com/
A <a href="buy guest posts“>small business seo services
Organization that is Focused on Your Wealth
Search Engine Optimization or SEO is one of the most financially savvy strategies for expanding traffic to your website and developing your compass with higher search engine rankings.
Accepting for a moment that you’re fighting to build your visibility on search engines, accomplish higher rankings, increment website traffic, and produce drives, we can help.