I had two ice cream truck favorites when I was a kid, the first of which was… THE CHIPWICH! I excitedly told this to the team who proceeded to ALL tell me that they had never had one and, well, that just wasn’t acceptable. So we made our own!!! But we made funfetti chipwiches, for obvious reasons. Chocolate chip cookies, plus mini chocolate chips, plus sprinkles, plus *wait for it*…. CAKE BATTER ICE CREAM inside! Mmmmm… you just found your new favorite summer treat!
- For the cookies:
- 2 sticks unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rainbow sprinkles divided
- 2 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips divided
- For the cake batter ice cream:
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 cups white or yellow boxed cake mix
- For the Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream together the butter and sugars.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time. Add in vanilla. Mix well.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Add to the butter, and mix just till combined.
- Fold in 1/2 cup of sprinkles and 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips.
- Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls. Place 2 inches apart on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes till lightly browned.
- Cool on cookie sheet for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and cool completely.
- For the Ice Cream: Whisk together all ingredients in a sauce pan. Cook over medium heat till mixture reaches 160 degrees F, whisking constantly. Let cool and chill in the freezer till very cold.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and prepare according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Line a 13 x 9 inch baking pan with plastic wrap or waxed paper. Pour ice cream mixture into the dish and spread out evenly using a spatula. Freeze until hardened (at least 4 hours, preferably overnight).
- In a small shallow dish, combine 1 cup of mini chocolate chips with 1/2 cup rainbow sprinkles.
- Using a round cookie cutter about the same size as your cookies, cut out circles of ice cream and sandwich them between 2 cookies. Roll the outside edge of each ice cream sandwich in the sprinkles and mini chocolate chips. Wrap in wax paper and freeze.
Photos by Jeff Mindell | Recipe by Theresa Rountree
Stick a candle in the top of that stack and call it the best birthday cake EVER! This isn’t the last ice cream truck treat we’ll be making over… but stay tuned for tomorrow’s Q of the day so you can weigh in on your faves! 😉
p.s. Funfetti Twinkies!