I kid you not, when I asked on Snapchat what I should do with my leftover velvet from these pillows, almost every single ONE of you said “Valentine’s Day pillows!!!!!” Say it with me now, “Ask and you shall receive.” Although since we’d already done conversation heart and heart emoji pillows, I had to change it up a little… with a heart LOLLIPOP pillow!!!!
I love this one because it looks super cute on a bed or across a little love seat, or you could make mini versions as little tiny throw pillows or gifts!! Eeeep! The highlight kills me. Let’s make some.
DIY Heart Lollipop Pillow
Total Time: 2 Hours
Paper Shopping Bag or Other Large Piece of Paper
1/2 Yard Pink Velvet or Other Fabric
1/4 Yard White Felt
Needle + Thread
1. Make a heart template out of paper. The easiest way to do this is to fold the paper in half, draw half a heart, then cut out through both layers and unfold.
2. Fold your velvet in half, right sides together, and use your template to cut out two heart shapes.
3. Cut out a small "highlight" shape from white felt.
4. Pin the highlight shape to one of the hearts. Stitch the shape to the heart, right around the very edge of the highlight, with about a 1/8" seam.
5. Place the other heart on top of the one you just sewed the highlight on, with right sides together. Pin the two hearts together all the way around. Stitch the hearts together, leaving about a 4" gap at the bottom of one side for turning.
6. Trim the point of seam allowance off and make a slit in the top of the heart, these will both make for cleaner seams once you turn the pillow right side out. Turn the pillow right side out.
7. Cut a long piece of felt about 1 1/2 times the length of your heart and about 8" wide.
8. Fold the piece in half and stitch along one short side and the long side. Turn right side out.
9. Stuff both the heart and the felt "stick".
10. Hand stitch the opening in the heart closed using a slipstitch.
11. You have two options for how to attach the stick to the heart. First, you can do what I did and attach it to the back of the heart. To do this, use a slipstitch to stitch the other short end of the stick closed. Pin the stick in place and use a slipstitch to stitch around the entire edge of the stick, wherever it hits the heart. Second, you can stitch the stick over the point of the heart. To do this, fold about 1/2" of the top of the felt stick under so you have a clean edge. Then, pin it in place around the point of the heart. Use a slipstitch to stitch it to the heart, all the way around.
If you wanted a simpler pillow, you could just make the heart with the cute little highlight and I think that would be adorable!!! You could make all different colors, too.
p.s. Heart Lollipops made from… Airheads!?