How many of you have scrambled the day before a Halloween party, putting together a costume from what you can find quickly or locally? Enter… these easy DIY Halloween costume headbands!
It’s the term I deemed for these easy peasy DIY accessories that turn a regular outfit into an instant, clever costume. SHAZAM! Keep reading to find eight of these funny, quick get-ups so you won’t have to worry about bumping into your fellow forgetful costume twin. Let’s do this!
Can you guess which pun each costume is without looking at the title!?
DIY Airhead Costume
Balloons are all you need to make this funny airhead Halloween costume headband!
- Balloons (These are 5″ ones, but regular size would work as well!)
- Partially blow up three balloons (or however many you want!) and tie them off with a knot.
- Then “stretch” the tail out and tie each balloon in another knot around the headband to secure.
Pair with an airy top and tousled hair. Done!
DIY Party Animal Costume
Party Animals would make a fun group costume, everyone choose a different animal to be! Just add party hats.
I know a lot of you last-minuters out there are party animals, so wear it loud, wear it proud!
- Party Hat
- Cardstock cut into ear shapes
- For my zebra ears, I cut them into the appropriate shape and then took a sharpie and drew zebra lines on each.
- Then I pinched the bottom of each ear and stapled them to the hat.
Pair with animal print anything. Done!
DIY Apple of My Eye Halloween Costume Headband
Turn heart sunglasses into apples for this punny costume headband!
Not to play favorites, but I think this one might be mine. “What are you?” they ask? Well, “I’m the apple of your eye,” is your answer. Hehe! BAM!
- Heart Shaped Sunglasses (The “rounder” the bottoms the better!)
- Craft Foam
- Mod Podge + glitter (Optional)
- Hot Glue
- Cut out two stem shapes from brown foam and two leaf shapes from green foam.
- If desired, cover either or both with glitter using your mod podge. Let dry.
- Then hot glue your leaf to the back of your stem.
- Finally hot glue your stem to the center of each heart.
Pair with a cute red or green dress. Done!
DIY Heart of Gold Costume Headband
Have a gold dress or outfit? Add this headband to become a “heart of gold”!
- Metallic Gold Poster Board or Metallic Gold Paper
- Gold Wire
- Double Stick Tape
- Cut out various heart shapes from your gold paper (Two for each heart “stem”.)
- Cut various lengths of wire as well.
- Tape together two heart shapes, sandwiching a wire in-between.
- Wrap the other end of your wires around your headband to secure.
Pair with hues of gold, yellow or mustard and some soft curls. Done!
DIY Bird Brain Costume
Perhaps the silliest of all, this birdbrain costume will make everyone laugh!
- Mini Plastic Flamingos (I am SO obsessed with these.)
- Hot Glue or Other Strong Glue
- Hot glue plastic flamingos across your headband.
Pair with a pink or other pastel outfit!
DIY ‘Your Wish Come True’ Halloween Costume Headband
This costume is a fun one because when someone asks “What are you?” You can respond “Your wish come true!” Perfect for a fun night out.
- Paper Straws (Cut in half or thirds.)
- Small Squares of Yellow Tissue Paper
- Hot Glue
- Pinch and twist the center of each tissue square to form a “flame”. Trim if desired.
- Place a dot of hot glue on the bottom of the twisted tissue and glue it into the straw.
- Hot glue the other end of the straw to the headband, making sure to hold each candle steady until the glue sets.
DIY Traveling Circus Costume Headband
Have some plastic animals laying around from your kids? Turn them into a traveling circus costume!
- Small Plastic Animals
- Spray Paint
- Hot Glue
- Spray paint your plastic animals in your desired colors. Let dry.
- Hot glue the animals to the headband.
- If desired, first hot glue a gumball to one of the animals to act as a “ball” and then glue that onto the headband.
All Photos by Studio DIY, Hair Styled by Lo Hendricks Hair
These Halloween costume headbands will save you for your next last minute Halloween party, or if you just want something fun to wear to school or the office!
Heather J says
These are so great!
Chelsea C. says
Love love love these. Such a great idea!
So cute. The balloons and apples are my fave!
As a fan of Neil Young, I’m incredibly smitten with your ‘heart of gold’ idea!
RM, Home Confetti says
Love these! I’m always looking for ideas that don’t require me to fully dress up when I’m trick or treating with my young kids. I love the party animal one! I look forward to seeing the others!
So cute and clever Kelly!
These are so great! Looking forward to the batch =)
lyndsay // coco cake land says
um kelly some hollywood indie director should snatch you up for some super cute indie romance!!! you are the cutest model… and these are so fun and clever (not to mention easy breezy!). LOVE ’em, kelly! ^__^ PS i did a few halloween masks using headbands a few years back that i’ll try and rustle up a photo to send you… one of them was aptly named “watermelon face.” ^__^
Ha! You are too funny (and kind!), Lyndsay! Glad you found a photo of that watermelon face costume. It was so great!!
Totally dig this! When I go trick or treating with my younger children, I’m always looking for new ideas that don’t require me to completely transform into a character. The party animal one is my favorite! I can’t wait to meet the other members of the group! In the roguelike role-playing video game Vampire Survivors, the objective is to defend yourself against waves of enemies while attempting to stay alive for as long as possible. It is impossible to escape Hell because there is nowhere to go to get away from the other devils that are already there. The most effective tactic is to maintain one’s viability for as long as possible until one’s own demise brings an end to the conflict. You should put aside some of the money you make from each run so that you may buy better equipment in the future and assist the player who comes after you.
check my blogs https://www.savewithblogs.com/