So I was TRYING to save this DIY cotton candy piñata for what I thought was National Cotton Candy Day in December but it turns out… there’s multiple cotton candy days!? I can’t even keep track anymore. But according to SOMEONE on the Internet, July 31st is also cotton candy day and I’m down to celebrate if it means not having to wait 5 more months! I used the same base for this as I used for my pineapple piñata and whadya know, cocoon lanterns are pretty darn versatile! I think cotton candy is about to have its moment, you guys. MARK MY WORDS!
Pink Spray Paint
White Computer Paper
Hot Glue Gun
1. In a well-ventilated area, spray paint your cotton fill pink and let dry. Because of the nature of the stuffing, there will be some variation in color and that’s a-ok!
2. Working your way around the lantern, from top to bottom, hot glue the stuffing to the outside of your lantern.
3. Layer two pieces of computer paper as shown and roll them together forming a cone.
4. Trim the cone to the length you want it.
5. Hot glue the cone to the inside of the lantern. You can either glue it directly to one side of the lantern, or pinch the two top ends of the cone together over the metal support for the lantern and glue.
6. Tie a piece of fishing line to the top of the metal support in the lantern. When ready to fill with candy, cut a circle of paper or cardstock about 1/2 bigger than the bottom opening of the lantern and place inside ontop of the opening. Then fill and you’re ready to go!
Photos by Jeff Mindell
This would also make such a fun piece in a kid’s room, wouldn’t it!? Who says you gotta smash a piñata anyway!!??
For more DIY piñatas, click here!
LOVE this! It looks so good, Kel.
Three Cheers + Co says
This is adorable and so simple to make! Love it!
my sister wants a baby version of this as a garland for her bday. i saw them on someone’s ig but i was thinking to myself “how so?”
thank you for answering my question Kel. YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maraquela Watercolor says
Very nice!! Congratulations for the original post!
This is just TOO AWESOME! I want to make one just to keep to hang in my house!
Monique | WritingMonique says
Ah yes! This is absolutely awesome!
Ok… I am completely OBSESSED with this DIY. So cute and fun!
Let’s Mingle Blog
This is so cute and looks just like the real thing!!!! Totally loving it.
mary beth at MBZ Interiors says
Definitely a keeper for a playroom mobile! and sounds easy enough that even I can do, which is really saying something.