Every year our family makes a DIY photo popsicle stick ornament to commemorate a moment in time with our ever-so-quickly growing child! We send them out as gifts to the grandparents and hang one on our tree, too. This year, we made popsicle stick fireplace ornaments!
These ornaments are fun, easy and collaborative to make with your kids! They can get involved in painting, and more depending on their age. Together, our family has made popsicle stick window ornaments, trains, gingerbread houses and more.
Since so many Christmas photos are taken by the cozy fireplace, we wanted to recreate that in popsicle stick form with this sweet ornament. Here’s how to make it!
Supplies You’ll Need
Here’s what you’ll need to make each homemade ornament:
- 9 popsicle sticks per ornament
- 1 jumbo popsicle stick per ornament (Don’t have jumbo ones? Just use two regular ones instead!)
- Hot glue gun (This is for adult use only!)
- Paint in desired color(s)
- Felt, cardstock or faux leather scraps (for fireplace decor and trim as desired)
- Photo (You can use a wallet size or cut down a 4×6, which is what I did. I recommend using a photo printed on photo paper or a laminated photo so it lasts!)
- Twine or ribbon for hanging
- Mini wreaths or Santa hats, if desired for decorating
Step-by-Step Popsicle Stick Fireplace Tutorial
- Cut your popsicle sticks to size. You’ll need the following for each ornament:
- 7 full size popsicle sticks
- 2 popsicle sticks but to about 3/4 their size
- 1 jumbo popsicle stick with the ends cut off
- Lay five popsicle sticks next to each other and the 3/4 cut ones on either side.
- Put hot glue on the back of the jumbo popsicle stick and glue it across the popsicle sticks to hold them together. This will become your fireplace “mantle.”
- Glue the remaining two full size popsicle sticks to the bottom of the vertical popsicle sticks.
- Paint! This is a great time to get the kids involved. My son always paints our popsicle stick ornaments. You can paint the entire thing one color or paint the mantle a separate color so it stands out.
- Out of black felt, foam, leather or paper, cut a black rectangle to fit in between the mantle and the bottom popsicle sticks, and to cover the five vertical popsicle sticks in the middle.
- Out of orange and/or yellow felt, foam, leather or paper cut one or two fire shapes.
- Glue the black rectangle in place and glue the fire shapes on top of it.
- Add your photo. Cut around your child/children/pets so it’s just them remaining with no background. Place hot glue on the bottom and top of the back of the photo and glue to one side of the fireplace.
- Add any other decorations you’d like such as:
- Wreath above the fireplace mantle
- Stockings to the mantle (I cut mine out of felt)
- Presents (cut squares and bows out of felt or other material)
- Mini santa hats on the kids’ heads.
- Flip ornaments over and hot glue a piece of twine or ribbon to the back in a loop for hanging.
- If desired, add a piece of felt on the back of the ornament to give the back a more finished look.
Homemade Ornaments as Gifts
Homemade ornaments, like this popsicle stick fireplace, make great DIY gifts for grandparents, parents, aunts and uncles and close family friends. They also are fun for kids to make as a part of an ornament exchange with friends!
If needing to ship your ornament to its recipient, I recommend wrapping it in bubble wrap first to keep it safe. Then, wrap in wrapping paper with a pretty bow and it’s the perfect DIY gift!
More Popsicle Stick Ornament Ideas
We’ve made many popsicle stick ornaments over the years. Here are some other ideas to try out with your family:
- Popsicle Stick Gingerbread House Ornaments
- Popsicle Stick Train Ornaments
- Popsicle Stick Window Ornaments
I hope you enjoy making these ornament keepsakes with your family! They’re something you’ll treasure forever.