Get everyone screaming on Halloween this year for a different reason with this ice cream costume!! It’s easy (you may even have the items in your closet!) and practical enough to wear to just about any costume-worthy occasion on the 31st.
Supplies for a DIY Ice Cream Cone Costume
White Shirt (I used this shirt because the scallops reminded me of an ice cream scoop, but you can get similar tops here, here and here!)
Cardstock in Rainbow Colors (or pre-made sprinkles!)
Fishing Line + Sewing Needle (or Hot Glue Gun)
Regular Clear Tape
Stretchy Headband or Bobby Pins (for securing balloon to your head!)
1. Cut out several sprinkles shapes from your various cardstock colors (enough to go around the neckline of your shirt). Lay the sprinkles in the pattern you want to attach them and take a quick phone pic so you remember how it looks.
2. I wanted to be able to re-use my shirt, so I sewed on my sprinkles. If you don’t care about re-using your shirt, you can hot glue them on… but here’s the method I used for mine! Thread a sewing needle with fishing line and tie a knot at the end. Thread it through the shirt and the sprinkle and back down through both two times, then tie a knot to secure. Repeat for all your sprinkles. If you want to get really fancy, you could also use fabric paint markers to paint criss-crosses like an ice cream cone on the skirt.
3. To make the cherry, cut out a long stem shape from red cardstock. Partially blow up the red balloon and tie it. Fold a half-inch of the stem under and tape the new tab to the top of the balloon. If your stem needs extra support to stand up, cut a small strip of cardstock and tape one side on the balloon and one side on the stem.
4. To secure the balloon cherry to my head, I wore an elastic headband and simply slipped the balloon’s tail under the elastic. It held really well. Alternatively, you could tie it to a plastic headband, or secure with several bobby pins.
More Dessert Costumes
- DIY Fro-Yo Costume
- DIY Milkshake Costumes
- DIY Frosted Animal Cookie Costume
- DIY Cookies + Milk Couples Costume
All Photos by Jeff Mindell
Recruit friends to be a cake slice, macaron, croquembouche and donut and you can go as a whole bakery!
Don’t forget! If you make a costume this Halloween from Studio DIY, be sure and tag #studiodiyincostume on Instagram to share it with everyone!
Wow! This looks incredible 🙂 I love this idea!
Love this costume idea, Kel! And that shirt is amazing. I would totally wear it outside of Halloween…sprinkles and all.
Oh Kelly you are so cool! Great idea! I love your shirt!
dakota barber// state & occupation says
You’re out of control haha this is WAY too cute! 😀
Lyndsay // Coco Cake Land says
heehee! LOVE IT! ^__^
Hayley G says
Well now I really want to go out for Halloween so I can be an adorable ice cream cone! So cute and simple. Love it.
Lee - She Uncovered says
So creative and still so chic! Pinned!
Sierra Rose says
This is adorable!! So smart!! Great costume!!
Pay With Polka Dots
Lauren Halls says
I just found your website online while looking for Halloween costumes, and let me say I am very impressed. All of your costumes are so well thought out and clean. You website is so incredible and organized. Thank you so much for giving me so many great ideas for Halloween costumes. I will for sure be back!